When you hear/read/watch the news, you can get pretty scared. Of course, we don’t have to bury our heads in the sand and have no idea what’s going on in the world.
But in my opinion, watching too much news is not good for us, because: “Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it.” (Proverbs 4:23; NIV)
No, watching the news is not a sin. If you watch or read the news 24 hours a day, then God isn’t mad at you either. But as this Scripture makes clear, we “must” protect our hearts. And when we constantly hear bad news, it quickly affects our hearts and fills us with fear and worry.
Instead of always hearing bad news, listen to the good news: that Jesus sacrificed Himself for us so that we can be reconciled to God for all eternity.
Does God want to protect us?
God is a good God. He is our loving Heavenly Father. What earthly father would want his children to be miserable? What earthly father would want his children to have accidents, be ill, or be scared? None.
Even earthly fathers want only the best for their children. And much more our God.
“I will be a Father to you, and you will be my sons and daughters, says the Lord Almighty.” (2 Corinthians 6:18; NIV)
- Psalm 91. Protection, Blessings and Long Life
- Understand who is protecting you
- Praying for Protection at Night
What does the Bible say about God’s protection?
One of my favorite psalms in the Bible is Psalm 91. It is full of promises of God’s protection:
- “He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.” (Psalm 91:4; NIV)
- “A thousand may fall at your side, ten thousand at your right hand, but it will not come near you.” (Psalm 91:7; NIV)
- “For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways; they will lift you up in their hands, so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.” (Psalm 91:11-12; NIV)
There are many other passages in the Bible where God promises us His protection. Here are a few more that you can look up:
- Psalm 5, verse 12
- Psalm 27, verses 1-2
- Psalm 63, verse 9
- Psalm 119, verse 114
- Proverbs 30, verse 5
So don’t despair. Your God— your Father — cares for you. Ask Him to put you in the right place at the right time. Ask Him to keep all evil away from you. Thank Him that you are safe under His strong wings.